The award show is announcing they will yet again go hostless after the decision worked out in their favor last year.
ABC Entertainment president Karey Burke announced today (January 8) that the show will be repeating last year’s hostless show structure while speaking to press at the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour in Pasadena.
“Let me confirm it now, together with the Academy, that there will be no traditional host this year,” says Burke.
In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter from March 2019, Burke suggested the awards show would likely repeat their decision after seeing a rare ratings increase for the 2019 show.
“We’re having those conversations with the Academy right now,” says Burke. “We are extremely happy with how the show went. Odds are you’ll see us repeating what we consider to be a successful formula.”
Last year’s show averaged almost 30 million viewers marking an 11.5 percent year-over-year increase. The ratings jump ended their constantly plummeting ratings which hit an all-time-low in 2018 with 26.54 million viewers.
They originally had Kevin Hart scheduled to host the show before some old anti-LQBTQ remarks surfaced, leaving the award ceremony hostless. The first time they ever hosted the show without a host came in 1989. That year’s show is widely considered to be the worst Oscars event in history.
This year’s ceremony is being produced by Oscar-nominated producers Lynette Howell Taylor and Stephanie Allain who have previously not worked with the Academy Awards.
The 92nd Academy Awards will be held Sunday, Feb. 9, on ABC.
What do you think of the Oscars going hostless for a second year? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
Alkaline Trio, 2000